Speedy Beef Hash
In Goshen, Kentucky, Sara McCoy relies on frozen hash browns and prepared salsa to hurry along this stovetop specialty. "I'm a registered nurse who likes to spend my free time with my family, so this time-saving twist on ground beef hash is a favorite."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sliced green onions and ripe olives, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the potatoes, salt and
- pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 7-9 minutes or until
- potatoes are lightly browned.
- Stir in salsa. Sprinkle with cheese; cook until melted. Sprinkle with
- onions and olives if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 373 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 784 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 26 g protein.