Speedy Apple Butter Recipe
After I read an article in Country EXTRA about a church group in Tennessee that made apple butter, I thought I would share a recipe I’ve used for many years. This shortcut version only takes about a half hour to make, and it starts with applesauce. I make my own sauce from the Golden Delicious apple tree in my yard. I hope someone who just wants to remember the taste of “homemade” apple butter, but in a small amount, will enjoy it.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC