This elegant after-dinner sweet, created by our Test Kitchen, lives up to its name. With pretty strawberries, a creamy filling and flaked coconut on top, it takes a little extra care to put together, but the results are well worth it.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons flaked coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh mint and additional sliced strawberries, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. With lightly floured hands, press onto a 7-1/2-in. pizza pan; build up edges slightly. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges and bottom are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 2 tablespoons of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes without stirring. Pour over crust. Top with strawberries.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons coconut until smooth. In another bowl, beat cream on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into cream cheese mixture. Carefully spread over strawberries. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over topping. Garnish with mint and berries if desired. Chill for at least 4 hours. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spectacular Strawberry Dessert in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006, p9
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Spectacular Strawberry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review