Special Summer Berry Medley Recipe
No matter how big the meal, folks always find room for this delightfully “special” dessert from Nancy Whitford, Edwards, New York. "With its hint of citrus and mint, this medley makes a light pretty side dish at casual cookouts or potlucks," Nancy says. "Best of all, it’s as fast and easy to make as it is to clean up!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup sparkling wine or white grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1. In a small heavy saucepan, bring wine and sugar to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Stir in the lemon juice and peel, vanilla and salt.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine berries and mint. Add syrup and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1/2 cup equals 85 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC