Special Strawberry Torte Recipe
Meet the Cook: The reason this is such a favorite is it's a little different yet quick and easy. At one time, my husband was a mess sergeant in the National Guard. When it came to cooking, there was always a little discussion over doing it my way or the Army way! We have four grown children and five grandchildren. -Alyce Kafka, Wagner, South Dakota
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting four egg yolks for the whole eggs. Pour the batter into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Carefully spread over batter; sprinkle with almonds and remaining sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until meringue is golden and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks, meringue side up, to cool completely.
- 4. Place one cake layer with meringue side up on a serving plate. Spread with half of the whipping topping and top with half of the strawberries. Repeat layers. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC