Special Strawberry Salad
This superb-looking salad may take some time to prepare, but one taste and you'll agree it's worth the extra effort. I treat family and friends to this dish on special occasions.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) unsweetened frozen strawberries
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- Dissolve unflavored gelatin in cold water. In a medium saucepan over
- low heat, heat cream and sugar until sugar dissolves. Stir in
- gelatin mixture until dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in sour
- cream and vanilla. Pour into a 2-qt. glass bowl; chill until firm.
- Dissolve strawberry gelatin in boiling water. Drain orange liquid
- into strawberry gelatin; blend well. Gently stir in strawberries
- until thawed. Pour over cream layer; arrange oranges on top (allow
- to settle) and chill until firm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 233 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.