This superb-looking salad may take some time to prepare, but one taste and you'll agree it's worth the extra effort. I treat family and friends to this dish on special occasions.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) unsweetened frozen strawberries
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- Dissolve unflavored gelatin in cold water. In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat cream and sugar until sugar dissolves. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and vanilla. Pour into a 2-qt. glass bowl; chill until firm. Dissolve strawberry gelatin in boiling water. Drain orange liquid into strawberry gelatin; blend well. Gently stir in strawberries until thawed. Pour over cream layer; arrange oranges on top (allow to settle) and chill until firm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Special Strawberry Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p74
Reviews for Special Strawberry Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review