- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup crushed vanilla wafers (about 15 wafers)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place squash in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl; beat just until smooth;.
- Beat in the milk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to squash mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over squash. Bake, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Special Squash Casserole
"Much too sweet and too time consuming to make. Just didn't like it unfortunately."
"This was not what I expected. No one cared for it. It was to mushy. Came home and looked up other versions of what is suppose to be like Kenny Roger's Roasters casserole and noticed this one asks for 3 pounds of squash. Others 3 cups. Could it be this one has a typing error? Just to much squash and mushy."
"great comfort dish!"
"Love this casserole - have also substituted crushed gingersnaps for the vanilla wafers - my family enjoys both ways."
"This was a hit last year for Thanksgiving. I thought I lost the recipe. I will be making it this year!!"