Special Squash Casserole Recipe
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup crushed vanilla wafers (about 15 wafers)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place squash in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl; beat just until smooth;.
- Beat in the milk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to squash mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over squash. Bake, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Special Squash Casserole(6)
Sort By :
This tastes really good, almost like pumpkin pie. It is more of a dessert than a main dish. Next time, I will add 1 cup of walnuts.
great comfort dish!
This is now a 'must have' recipe at our Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners!
Love this casserole - have also substituted crushed gingersnaps for the vanilla wafers - my family enjoys both ways.
This was a hit last year for Thanksgiving. I thought I lost the recipe. I will be making it this year!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Side Dishes >