Special Shrimp Bake Recipe
My husband and I entertain most weekends, and to me the easiest way of serving a crowd is a buffet. This dish - a change of pace from turkey during the holidays - can be put together the night before, then baked the following day. -Kathy Houchen, Waldorf, Maryland
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/4 cups cooked rice
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground mace, pepper and cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add shrimp; cook for 3 minutes or until pink. Drain. Sprinkle shrimp with oil and lemon juice; set aside.
- In a skillet, saute green pepper and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Add soup, cream, rice, mace, pepper, cayenne, 1/4 cup of almonds and remaining salt. Set aside 1 cup of shrimp. Add remaining shrimp to the rice mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Top with reserved shrimp and remaining almonds; bake 20 minutes longer or until the shrimp are lightly browned. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Special Shrimp Bake in Country Woman November/December 1998, p33
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Special Shrimp Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 22, 2009
very very good! made it for a potluck last year - no leftovers. will make for christmas dinner this year.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Rice Casserole Recipes >