Special Scalloped Corn
THE ADDITION of carrots and green pepper makes this a colorful dish, which also grabs attention at a potluck. (For these occasions, I double the recipe).
This casserole is also great when you need to prepare a dish ahead of time. All you need to do is bake it before serving.
-Mrs. J. Brown, Fort Dodge, Iowa
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Transfer to a
- greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 322 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 941 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.