Special Savory Loaves Recipe
Filled with herbs, tomatoes and cheese, then topped with zesty seasonings, this hearty bread will be welcome at any gathering. Tells Alanna Petrone of Terryville, Connecticut, "My husband and I like to bake. This recipe is one we developed and served at a family picnic, where everyone loved it!"
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add soup, oil, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. For filling, combine basil, parsley, garlic and oil in a bowl; let stand for 30 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread basil mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Cover with tomatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, beginning at long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 4. Place loaves on greased baking sheets; brush tops with egg white. Combine remaining topping ingredients; sprinkle over loaves. With a sharp knife, cut four 1/2-in. slits on top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC