Special Savory Loaves
Filled with herbs, tomatoes and cheese, then topped with zesty seasonings, this hearty bread will be welcome at any gathering. Tells Alanna Petrone of Terryville, Connecticut, "My husband and I like to bake. This recipe is one we developed and served at a family picnic, where everyone loved it!"
32 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add soup, oil, salt and 3
- cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a
- soft dough.