Filled with herbs, tomatoes and cheese, then topped with zesty seasonings, this hearty bread will be welcome at any gathering. Tells Alanna Petrone of Terryville, Connecticut, "My husband and I like to bake. This recipe is one we developed and served at a family picnic, where everyone loved it!"
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add soup, oil, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. For filling, combine basil, parsley, garlic and oil in a bowl; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread basil mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Cover with tomatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, beginning at long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Place loaves on greased baking sheets; brush tops with egg white. Combine remaining topping ingredients; sprinkle over loaves. With a sharp knife, cut four 1/2-in. slits on top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
Originally published as Special Savory Loaves in Country Woman January/February 1998, p23
Reviews for Special Savory Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review