Special Sauerbraten Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds), cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, onion, sugar, soup mix, carrot, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain cooking juices, discarding vegetables and seasonings.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Special Sauerbraten in Slow Cooker Throughout the Year Costco 2013, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Special Sauerbraten
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review