Special Roast Turkey Recipe
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ORANGE GIBLET GRAVY:
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. Place turkey on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Add water, giblets and neck to pan. Combine 1-1/4 cups broth, 3/4 cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons soy sauce; pour over turkey. Combine bouillon, onion and garlic powder; sprinkle over turkey. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with foil. Remove giblets and neck when tender; set aside for gravy. Combine remaining broth, orange juice and soy sauce. Remove foil from turkey; pour broth mixture over turkey. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
- 2. For gravy, remove meat from neck and discard the bones. Chop giblets and neck meat; set aside. In a saucepan, combine 2 cups pan juices, broth, orange juice and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Stir in thyme, sugar and pepper. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk into broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in reserved giblets and neck meat. Carve turkey; serve with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 846 calories, 37g fat (11g saturated fat), 368mg cholesterol, 1426mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, trace fiber), 110g protein
Reviews for Special Roast Turkey
"Very tasty! The gravy was wonderful!"
"This is the second Thanksgiving I've prepared this turkey. It is delicious! I love the gravy, very savory. All my family loves this turkey."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer