- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ORANGE GIBLET GRAVY:
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Place turkey on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Add water, giblets and neck to pan. Combine 1-1/4 cups broth, 3/4 cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons soy sauce; pour over turkey. Combine bouillon, onion and garlic powder; sprinkle over turkey. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with foil. Remove giblets and neck when tender; set aside for gravy. Combine remaining broth, orange juice and soy sauce. Remove foil from turkey; pour broth mixture over turkey. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
- For gravy, remove meat from neck and discard the bones. Chop giblets and neck meat; set aside. In a saucepan, combine 2 cups pan juices, broth, orange juice and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Stir in thyme, sugar and pepper. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk into broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in reserved giblets and neck meat. Carve turkey; serve with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Special Roast Turkey
Sort By :
"Very tasty! The gravy was wonderful!"
"This is the second Thanksgiving I've prepared this turkey. It is delicious! I love the gravy, very savory. All my family loves this turkey."