Special Rhubarb Cake Recipe
A rich vanilla sauce is served with this tender cake from Biena Schlabach of Millersburg, Ohio. "The women at church made it for my 84th birthday," she says.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:9 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- 2. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve with cake. Yield: 9 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 463 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 451 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC