Special Rhubarb Cake Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- 2. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve with cake. Yield: 9 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
1 slice: 463 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Special Rhubarb Cake
"Very moist and I did use about 3 cups of rhubarb, otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. This turned out extremely well for myself who is not a baker. Vanilla sauce is devine !!I love the fact that it's a 9 x 9 pan, suitable for a smaller gathering."
"Awesome. It doesn't get better than this."
"This was one of the best rhubard cakes my husband said he has ever had...it will be added to one of our favorites for sure ...It was so moist and flavorfull and so easy to make. We like a little more tartness in our cake so I am going to add another 1/2 cup of rhubarb the next time I bake it. Otherwise, it was perfect!!!"
"excellent cake, moist tasty and the sauce was to die for"
"This is a keeper. I have made it over and over. Quick to make,take it anywhere, all will love it"
"Excellent! Thanks for sharing! I cut back a tad on the sugar and ended up putting in all of the rhubarb (approx 3 cups) that I chopped. Found it to be very moist and delicious!"
"this was a very easy cake to make. The cake taste very good. I put 3 cups of Rhubarb in and doubled the crumble on top The sauce goes very nicely with the cake. Quite rich...only had a small serve."
"This is good. I love the sauce. Cake is a little dry but very tasty."
"I made this cake about a month ago to try it out and was very impressed. So I decided to make it again today but instead of rhubarb I used fresh cranberries and I added the zest of 2 oranges to the sauce. It was a success!!"
"This has been a favorite family recipe for years now. Thank you for sharing."
"Very good! I didn't make the sauce, was serving the cake later and didn't want it to be soggy. But it was awesome even without the sauce. Very moist and not crumbly at all. Flavor was there, but not overpowering and too tart. Was perfect."
"Pleasantly surprised at how nice this cake was. My 10 year-old daughter now likes rhubarb. Next time I will use smaller pieces of rhubarb."
"This cake was a hit! I had a bunch of rhubarb in the freezer and a church potluck. I thought making something with rhubarb could be risky; I love it, but I know a lot of people don't. I made it anyway - I doubled it and put it in a 9x13 pan. I came home with about 3 pieces! One lady told me it was the best thing she ever tasted and several wanted the recipe."
"Wow! A good moist cake and the sauce adds an extra yummy touch. My family gives it a definite thumbs up!"
"I have made this cake many times. My son's girlfriend who didn't like rhubarb is now a rhubarb lover after eating this cake. I never saw or heard anyone enjoy a desert as much as she did."
"Ive made this quite a few times. We have a big rhubarb patch and have made lots of recipes on this site. Nice cake for brunch."