- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve with cake. Yield: 9 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Reviews for Special Rhubarb Cake
Sort By :
This was one of the best rhubard cakes my husband said he has ever had...it will be added to one of our favorites for sure ...It was so moist and flavorfull and so easy to make. We like a little more tartness in our cake so I am going to add another 1/2 cup of rhubarb the next time I bake it. Otherwise, it was perfect!!!
Its very nice
excellent cake, moist tasty and the sauce was to die for
This is a keeper. I have made it over and over. Quick to make,take it anywhere, all will love it
Excellent! Thanks for sharing! I cut back a tad on the sugar and ended up putting in all of the rhubarb (approx 3 cups) that I chopped. Found it to be very moist and delicious!