Special Rhubarb Cake Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve with cake. Yield: 9 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Reviews for Special Rhubarb Cake(15)
Sort By :
Its very nice
excellent cake, moist tasty and the sauce was to die for
This is a keeper. I have made it over and over. Quick to make,take it anywhere, all will love it
Excellent! Thanks for sharing! I cut back a tad on the sugar and ended up putting in all of the rhubarb (approx 3 cups) that I chopped. Found it to be very moist and delicious!
this was a very easy cake to make. The cake taste very good. I put 3 cups of Rhubarb in and doubled the crumble on top The sauce goes very nicely with the cake. Quite rich...only had a small serve.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >