Special Raisin Pie
When I first made this pie, I thought it was great. Then I entered it at the county fair and I guess the judges thought it was great, too, since it won first place. —Laura Fall-Sutton, Buhl, Idaho
8 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small saucepan, combine raisins and water. Bring to a boil; cook
- 2 minutes. Add sugars and salt; cook until sugars are dissolved.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into
- the pan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the juices, peels and extract.
- Roll out half of the pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer pastry
- to pie plate. Fill with raisin mixture. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute