"My grandma used to be known for her delicious wedding cakes, and this is the recipe she used," relates field editor Sue Gronholz from Beaver Dam, Wisconsin."I learned cake decorating on my own and use her recipe to create birthday, anniversary and shower cakes."
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups shortening
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Lilac paste food coloring
- Edible pansies
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water. Beat just until combined. In another bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar, extracts and salt until light and fluffy. Add enough milk to achieve frosting consistency.
- Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake. Tint 2 cups frosting with lilac food coloring; spread over top and sides of cake.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #10 tip and fill with remaining white frosting. Pipe a border of "pearls" around bottom and top of cake. With #3 tip, pipe smaller "pearls" on sides of cake. Garnish with pansies. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Special-Occasion White Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2007, p6
Reviews for Special-Occasion White Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review