- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water; set aside. In a large bowl,
- cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a
- time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the
- flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture
- alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small heavy
- saucepan over low heat, bring cream and sugar to a boil. Pour over
- chocolate; whisk gently until smooth. Refrigerate for 35-45 minutes
- or until ganache begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the
- confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting.
- Top with second layer and 1 cup ganache; sprinkle with 1/2 cup
- almonds. Top with third layer; frost top and sides of cake. Warm
- ganache until pourable; pour over cake, allowing some to drape down
- the sides. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Refrigerate until
- serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 961 calories, 51 g fat (29 g saturated fat), 178 mg cholesterol, 574 mg sodium, 123 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.