- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small bowl, combine shortening and boiling water. Stir in milk and extract; cool to 110°-115°. Add to yeast mixture. Beat in eggs, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into 6-in. x 1-in. strips. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375°. Fry dough strips in oil for 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and cream in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat with portable mixture until creamy. Frost the long johns. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Special Long Johns in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p11
Reviews for Special Long Johns(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review