VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- HOT CHOCOLATE MIX:
- 8 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3-3/4 cups instant chocolate drink mix
- 1-1/2 cups powdered nondairy creamer
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 envelope unsweetened orange or raspberry Kool-Aid mix
- CHOCOLATE CUPS:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Whipped cream in a can
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- For chocolate cups, in a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. With a small pastry brush or 1/2 teaspoon measure, spread chocolate mixture on the inside of 1-in. foil or paper candy cups.
- Place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until firm. Just before serving, remove foil or paper cups and add whipped cream.
- To prepare hot chocolate: For each serving, combine 1/3 cup mix and 1 cup boiling water; stir to dissolve. Place one filled chocolate cup in each mug; stir until melted. Yield: 11 cups hot chocolate mix and 16 chocolate cups.
Originally published as Special Hot Chocolate Treats in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p109