- 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 pound chopped candied pineapple
- 1 pound red candied cherries
- 1/2 pound walnut halves
- 1/2 pound Brazil nuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease well and flour two 8x4-in. loaf pans. In a large bowl, combine dates, pineapple, cherries and nuts. In a small bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into fruit mixture until well coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks until slightly thickened. In another bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Add to fruit mixture; gently fold until blended. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 20 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in a cool dry place. Using a serrated knife, cut into slices. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Special Holiday Fruitcake
"This is beyond delicious! I cut back on the sugar some and it was awesome! I also soaked my candied fruit in tea and it gave a rich flavor. I also later added Rum flavor! My family is still craving this! *Note*: I did have to lower my temperature twice when baking so the cake would not burn."
"I have made a recipe very similar to this for the past 25 years. People who don't like fruitcake seem to like it. I will continue to make it."
"This recipe is all fruit and very little cake/binder. It is EXCELLENT. A true fruitcake lover will love this recipe! It is expensive to make, but worth every cent!"
"I followed the directions and it turned out to be a ball of sticky stuff. The top and sides were burning before the inside was done. Not sure what went wrong."
"Delicious fruitcake with a nice texture."
"I think it is ridiculous to have to sign up for a subscription to look at some recipes on this site, I have been a loyal subscriber of TOH for 4 years."
"This is very good."
"I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY I HAD TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION IN ORDER TO LOOK AT RECIPES.SARA HUTH"