Special Garden Medley
My mother used to make this in large batches to can 60 years ago. Now I make it for my freezer.
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow or green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes (about 9 medium)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, combine the celery, onion, yellow pepper and
- water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- or until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sugar and salt; cook 6-8 minutes longer or
- until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2/3 cup) equals 54 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 417 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.