Combined with a salad, this rich soup is a meal for my husband and me. I top it with Brie, prosciutto and garlic on French bread to make it extra tasty. —Laura McAllister, Morganton, North Carolina
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 6 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 12 cups)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Pepper to taste
- 9 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese, rind removed, softened
- 6 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- In Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter with 1/4 cup oil; add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Cook 45 minutes longer or until onions are golden, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb; brush with remaining oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; mash and set aside.
- Add wine to the onion mixture; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, cayenne and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Place bread on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Spread each slice with Brie and mashed garlic; sprinkle with prosciutto.
- Discard bay leaf from soup; ladle 1 cup each into nine ovenproof bowls. Top with one slice of toast; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Special French Onion Soup in Country Woman April/May 2008, p27
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Special French Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review