Special Eggplant Subs
The idea for this unique sandwich was inspired by a light eggplant dish I made for hot summer evenings. I decided to use the golden eggplant slices as a base for sandwiches. My family goes wild for the delicious combination of toppings.
-Marie Maffucci, New Rochelle, New York
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 submarine sandwich buns (10 inches), split
- Leaf lettuce
- 1 jar (7-1/4 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Italian or vinaigrette salad dressing
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Place bread crumbs in another bowl.
- Dip eggplant slices into egg, then coat with crumbs. Place on a
- greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until crispy. Cool. On the bottom
- of each bun, layer with lettuce, eggplant, red peppers, cheese,
- tomatoes and olives. Drizzle with salad dressing; replace bun tops.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 770 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 150 mg cholesterol, 1,569 mg sodium, 102 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 31 g protein.