Special Eggplant Subs Recipe
The idea for this unique sandwich was inspired by a light eggplant dish I made for hot summer evenings. I decided to use the golden eggplant slices as a base for sandwiches. My family goes wild for the delicious combination of toppings. -Marie Maffucci, New Rochelle, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:4 servings
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 submarine sandwich buns (10 inches), split
- Leaf lettuce
- 1 jar (7-1/4 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Italian or vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Place bread crumbs in another bowl. Dip eggplant slices into egg, then coat with crumbs. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until crispy. Cool. On the bottom of each bun, layer with lettuce, eggplant, red peppers, cheese, tomatoes and olives. Drizzle with salad dressing; replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 770 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 150 mg cholesterol, 1,569 mg sodium, 102 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC