Special Eggplant Subs Recipe
The idea for this unique sandwich was inspired by a light eggplant dish I made for hot summer evenings. I decided to use the golden eggplant slices as a base for sandwiches. My family goes wild for the delicious combination of toppings. -Marie Maffucci, New Rochelle, New York
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 submarine sandwich buns (10 inches), split
- Leaf lettuce
- 1 jar (7-1/4 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Italian or vinaigrette salad dressing
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Place bread crumbs in another bowl. Dip eggplant slices into egg, then coat with crumbs. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until crispy. Cool. On the bottom of each bun, layer with lettuce, eggplant, red peppers, cheese, tomatoes and olives. Drizzle with salad dressing; replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Special Eggplant Subs in Taste of Home August/September 1999, p39
Reviews for Special Eggplant Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review