Special Chicken Potpie Recipe
Marcy Schewe of Danube, Minnesota relates, "This potpie topped with homemade biscuits is oh-so-comforting. It's a real family favorite."
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), quartered
- 4 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, halved widthwise
- 2 medium onions
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, halved widthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Remove chicken and vegetables. Debone chicken; dice and set aside. Slice vegetables and set aside. Strain broth, reserving 2 cups. (Discard remaining broth or save for another use.)
- 3. Melt butter in a large saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in cream and reserved broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, peas and reserved chicken and vegetables. Pour into a 2-qt. round baking dish. Set aside and keep warm.
- 4. For biscuits, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. On a floured surface, roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place biscuits over chicken mixture. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Special Chicken Potpie
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC