Special Brussels Sprouts
I GREW UP on a farm in southern Louisiana, so we had fresh vegetables most of the year.
Mother served brussels sprouts at least twice a week. Fresh from the garden, they were sweet and tender. Now I make this recipe all year using frozen sprouts.
-Ruby Miguez, Crowley, Louisiana
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen brussels sprouts
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a small skillet, saute almonds in butter until lightly browned;
- set aside. In a saucepan, cook brussels sprouts according to package
- directions, adding the bouillon cube to the water.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the soup, milk, pimientos,
- pepper and thyme. Cook until heated through. Drain sprouts; top with
- the cream sauce and stir gently. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4-6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 124 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 602 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.