I GREW UP on a farm in southern Louisiana, so we had fresh vegetables most of the year. Mother served brussels sprouts at least twice a week. Fresh from the garden, they were sweet and tender. Now I make this recipe all year using frozen sprouts. -Ruby Miguez, Crowley, Louisiana
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen brussels sprouts
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a small skillet, saute almonds in butter until lightly browned; set aside. In a saucepan, cook brussels sprouts according to package directions, adding the bouillon cube to the water.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the soup, milk, pimientos, pepper and thyme. Cook until heated through. Drain sprouts; top with the cream sauce and stir gently. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Special Brussels Sprouts in Reminisce March/April 2000, p45
Reviews for Special Brussels Sprouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review