- 1/3 cup vanilla or white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups vanilla or white chocolate chips
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the chips and water; stir until chips are melted. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add melted chip mixture, buttermilk and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the creamed mixture.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute; remove from the heat. Stir in chips and vanilla until smooth; cool. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Special Birthday Cake in Country Woman January/February 2003, p11
Reviews for Special Birthday Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2015
"This cake is delicious!"
Reviewed May. 21, 2010
"This cake tastes wonderful! My whole family loved it! I will definitely be making this again!"