- 1/3 cup vanilla or white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups vanilla or white chocolate chips
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the chips and water; stir until chips are melted. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add melted chip mixture, buttermilk and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the creamed mixture.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute; remove from the heat. Stir in chips and vanilla until smooth; cool. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Special Birthday Cake in Country Woman January/February 2003, p11
Reviews for Special Birthday Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 21, 2010
"This cake tastes wonderful! My whole family loved it! I will definitely be making this again!"