- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake loaves, covering with foil if they darken too rapidly, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1-1-1/4 hours. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- While loaves are still slightly warm, whisk glaze ingredients. Drizzle over loaves, using a baking pan or parchment paper under racks to catch excess. Cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews forSpecial Banana Nut Bread
"I've made Banana bread for years, and this is the best I've ever tasted. My friends LOVED it also."
"She was probably baking and texting and missed a task!!"
"I didn't think this recipe was great or outstanding. It wasn't real moist. Maybe I needed to put another banana. Just okay."
"I don't know what that woman did but I have been making this for years,. So Yummy! and it is gone in about 6 hours, thank goodness it makes a second loaf. Freezes great too! My husband and 2 teenage boys beg me to make this one a regular basis, if they would stop eating the bananas! I do not use the glaze."
"OUTSTANDING!! ***** I made the Special Banana Nut bread and didn't change or modify anything about it. The recipe made two full loaves. We ate one; gave the other away. It was moist, flavorful, and didn't disappoint. My sister-in-law (the recipient of the giveaway) has many banana bread recipes but a few days later she said it was the best banana bread she's ever eaten and said she's throwing out all her other recipes. The orange juice glaze gave it a great punch. Thank you for this recipe! This one's a keeper!! *****"
"I was really disappointed. After reading many of the reviews I decided to make this recipe. It is the worst banana nut bread recipe I've made. I really have no idea how it was a contest winning recipe. :("
"Never turning back! Best. Banana. bread. Ever."
"This is an excellent recipe. The only modifications that I made were: I used 1 cup of sugar (instead of 2 cups), I used five very ripe bananas (instead of about 4), I used 1 cup of walnuts (instead of 2 cups of pecans). I also waited a good 10-15 minutes for the loaves to cool down before putting the glaze over them, as some reviewers have mentioned it made a huge difference. I am planning on bringing one loaf to work on Monday. Let's spread the joy! :-) Delicious!"
"I have made this recipe quite a few times and every time I make it, my girls curse me a plenty, all the while gobble gobble chunk by chunk! It is a fabulous recipe. I usually bake it in four small bread pans rather than the two larger ones.My only change to this recipe is to pan roast the pecans up front.*FULL DISCLOSURE*I usually eat one of the small loaves by myself before it has time to cool! Then I take my insulin..."
"delicious! it is moist, i love the orange glaze and the best is it makes 2 loaves!"