- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1 medium orange, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lime, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 bottles (750 milliliters each) dry red wine
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2/3 cup orange liqueur
- 2/3 cup Cognac or brandy
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 bottle (1 liter) carbonated water, chilled
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Discard vanilla bean.
- Divide the fruits between two large pitchers. Add the wine, orange juice, liqueur, Cognac, lemon juice, lime juice and vanilla mixture. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, stir in carbonated water. Yield: 32 servings (6 quarts).
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now