Spanish-Style Paella Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 strands saffron, crushed or 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper strips
- 1/2 cup green pepper strips
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook sausage and chicken in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned and chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain if necessary.
- 2. Stir in rice and onion. Cook until onion is tender and rice is lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add the broth, tomatoes, paprika, cayenne, salt and saffron. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the shrimp, peppers and peas. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until rice is tender, shrimp turn pink and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 234 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 548 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.