Spanish String Beans
I always plant green beans in my garden because they're so easy to grow. I found this recipe years ago and have made it often. It's so simple to prepare.
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pound green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; cook for 8-10 minutes
- or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and
- green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt,
- bay leaf and cloves; simmer for 10 minutes. Drain beans; add to
- tomato mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated
- through. Discard bay leaf and cloves. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 63 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.