Spanish Squash Medley
This fresh-tasting side dish of summer squash and zucchini goes well with chicken, pork or steak. But it's so colorful and flavorful that it might steal the spotlight from your entree.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium summer squash, halved and sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large plum tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the squash, zucchini and onion in oil for 8
- minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the tomato, butter,
- lemon-pepper, garlic powder and salt. Cook for 2 minutes or until
- heated through. Remove from the heat; sprinkle with cheese. Cover
- for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter and cheese) equals 55 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 123 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.