You'll find my Spanish Rice is so much better than any boxed variety found in grocery stores. Best of all, it can be prepared in about the same time as those so-called convenience foods using items found in your pantry.Anne Yaeger, Washington DC, Washington
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add rice and stir until
- browned. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and
- rice is tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 217 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 886 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.