Spanish Rice with Turkey
"Not everyone in the family cared for Spanish rice until they tried this hearty version," says Sylvia Wallace of Adams, New York. "Now instead of complaints, I hear, 'More, please'."
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic
- powder over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in
- the next six ingredients. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with
- cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 308 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 384 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 vegetable.