Spanish Rice with Cilantro Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, water, broth, chili powder, salt, sugar and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/8 cup: 258 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Spanish Rice with Cilantro
"I thought this was just okay but not great. Probably will not make again, no depth of flavor."
"Very Tasty! MAde this for my daughter who is a vegetarian and she loved it! Goes very nicely with tacos to round out a full meal."
"I make this every time I make tacos or enchiladas. In stead of the canned diced tomatoes with green chillies I use a reg. can of diced tomatoes and a draines can of chopped green chillies for a little more heat, I sometimes add cut up cooked chicken to turn it into a main course meal. This is the best spanish rice recipe i have tried and my family agrees."
"It's funny! I have eaten rice like this but Spanish people don't make this rice. I know, I'm Spanish."