- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a small bowl, toss chicken with flour, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a Dutch oven, heat 4 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, stirring occasionally; remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add rice, cumin, chili powder and remaining salt; stir to coat rice. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Place browned chicken over rice (do not stir in). Cook, covered 5 minutes longer or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Spanish Rice with Chicken & Peas
"This was good. Did not add cumin or chili powder, as we don't care for them. Otherwise it was good. Easy to make. Thanks."
"This was easy to make and very good. Will make it again."
"I switched the white rice with saffron rice an it was great"
"Tasty and easy. Perfect for cool weather. I didn't add the cumin as I didn't have any and the chopped tomatoes I used a 10 oz can of fire roasted Rotel tomatoes which added some more spice"
"This dish was very good, must say very easy. All regular food l have on hand. I added a little hot sauce and l put the peas in after l turned the burner off so they stayed nice & green. It would also be a nice side dish without the chicken. Janet. VFE"