Spanish Rice with Bacon
In Siloam Springs, Arkansas, David Bias adds bacon to this zippy rice dish for a flavorful change of pace. "Being big fans of Mexican food, my family loves this recipe," he shares.
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- to paper towels. Add oil to the drippings; saute onion for 3
- minutes. Add rice; stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in
- the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 287 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 514 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.