Spanish Rice Turkey Casserole
Everyone in my family loves this casserole, even my eighty-year-old grandparents who aren't big fans of Mexican food. Mild green chilies, tender cubes of turkey, tomatoes and lots of cheese make a mouthwatering filling.Ann Herren, Pulaski, Tennessee
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (6.8 ounces each) Spanish rice and pasta mix
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- In a large skillet, saute rice and vermicelli in butter until golden
- brown. Gradually stir in the water, tomatoes and contents of rice
- seasoning packets. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the turkey, corn, sour cream and
- 1/2 cup cheese. Stir in rice mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining
- cheese (dish will be full). Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25
- minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 348 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 937 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.