My mom made this when I was growing up, and now it's in frequent rotation for family meals. It's one of the few that both of my kids love! Cathy Flikkema - Salt Lake City, UT
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 cups instant brown rice
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, tomato puree, water, chilies, olives and chili seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Rice Supper in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009, p66
Reviews for Spanish Rice Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 18, 2009
"This is really good. Even my son-in-law who isn't a fan of olives, chilis, or casseroles went back for a second helping! It makes a lot, too."