Spanish Rice Empanadas
The shells for this main course call for refrigerated pie crust, which must be folded into pockets. Inside, you’ll find tender pieces of chicken and rice accented with Spanish spices. Delicious!
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (5.6 or 6.8 ounces) Spanish rice and pasta mix
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 packages (15 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare Spanish rice according to package directions, omitting the
- butter or oil. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cheese, onions
- and olives. Stir in prepared rice.
- Roll each sheet of pastry into a 12-in. circle; place on greased
- baking sheets. Spoon rice mixture over half of each circle; spread
- to within 1 in. of edges. Fold pastry over filling; crimp edges to
- seal. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over tops.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut
- empanadas in half to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.