Spanish Rice Empanadas Recipe
The shells for this main course call for refrigerated pie crust, which must be folded into pockets. Inside, you’ll find tender pieces of chicken and rice accented with Spanish spices. Delicious!
- 1 package (5.6 or 6.8 ounces) Spanish rice and pasta mix
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 packages (15 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare Spanish rice according to package directions, omitting the butter or oil. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cheese, onions and olives. Stir in prepared rice.
- Roll each sheet of pastry into a 12-in. circle; place on greased baking sheets. Spoon rice mixture over half of each circle; spread to within 1 in. of edges. Fold pastry over filling; crimp edges to seal. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over tops.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut empanadas in half to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Rice Empanadas in Taste of Home April/May 2006, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Spanish Rice Empanadas(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 14, 2010
This is a great recipe for an quick and easy meal! My whole family loved it!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Chicken Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >