Spanish Rice Dish Recipe
The bacon adds tremendous flavor to this spicy dish. I learned this tip from a friend while living in New Mexico. It's great served with any Mexican meal, or as a side dish with hamburgers or chicken.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:12-14 servings
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chilies with liquid, diced or 1 can (8 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, diced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Drain fat. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, until rice is tender, about 35-40 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 148 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 462 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC