The bacon adds tremendous flavor to this spicy dish. I learned this tip from a friend while living in New Mexico. It's great served with any Mexican meal, or as a side dish with hamburgers or chicken.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chilies with liquid, diced or 1 can (8 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, diced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Drain fat. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, until rice is tender, about 35-40 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Rice in Country October/November 1992, p47
Reviews for Spanish Rice Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review