- 1 cup dried lima beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add bay leaf and water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Drain, discarding liquid and bay leaf. In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and beans. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Lima Beans in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p60
Reviews for Spanish Lima Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >