These fried cinnamon-sugar goodies from the Country Woman Test Kitchen are best when fresh and hot. Try them with cups of coffee or hot chocolate. Don't be surprised if people start dunking...and then go back for more fritters.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Additional oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, oil and salt to a boil.
- Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Transfer
- to a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute or until the dough softens.
- Add egg and lemon peel; beat for 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a deep skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Insert a large star
- tip in a pastry bag; fill with dough. On a baking sheet, pipe dough
- into 4-in. strips.
- Transfer strips to skillet and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over
- fritters. Serve warm. Yield: about 1 dozen.